Explorers search for a British Colonel who disappeared trying to find a legendary City of Z, in the region of Barra do Garças, Mato Grosso, the Pantanal of Brazil, during in 1925.
- Charlie Hunnam as Colonel Percy Fawcett, a military man-turned-explorer, searching for a lost city deep in the Amazon.
- Robert Pattinson as Corporal Henry Costin
- Sienna Miller as Nina Fawcett
- Tom Holland as Jack Fawcett
- Bobby Smalldridge as 7-year-old Jack Fawcett
- Tom Mulheron as young Jack Fawcett
- Angus Macfadyen as James Murray
- Edward Ashley as Corporal Arthur Manley
- John Sackville as Simon Beauclerk
- Adam Bellamy as Cecil Gosling
- Daniel Huttlestone as Brian Fawcett
The film will close down the 54th New York Film Festival on October 15, 2016. Prior to, StudioCanal acquired international distribution rights to the film. Amazon Studios acquired U.S distribution rights to the film. Bleecker Street is partnering with Amazon on the film's theatrical release. The film was released on April 21, 2017.
The cast was present at a press conference during the 2016 New York Film Festival. Cast interviews took place during April 2017, closer towards the film's release date.
On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 88% based on 171 reviews, with an average rating of 7.4/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The Lost City of Z's stately pace and visual grandeur hearken back to classic exploration epics, and Charlie Hunnam turns in a masterful performance as its complex protagonist." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 78 out of 100, based on 44 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
A total of two trailers have been released for the film.